Friday, November 18, 2005

How to make a flemish bowstring

Have you ever wondered how people make flemish twist strings for bows? I started making bows in May of 2004, and at first I always had to order bow strings from other people. I found a guy on ebay who would make them for $5. But I really wanted to learn how to make them myself. I read about a dozen tutorials on the internet and still couldn't get a clear understanding of it. Finally, I just decided to try it, even though it wasn't entirely clear to me. Once I tried it, it all started to make more sense. It seems completely easy to me now, and I wonder how it could've ever seemed so complicated.

Having had such a difficult time finding a tutorial that was idiot-proof, I decided recently to make a tutorial of my own. I wanted to make a tutorial that I wish I could've found when I was trying to learn how to make Flemish strings.

If you find yourself wanting to make a Flemish bowstring, check out my tutorial. I'd like to know if you find it easy to understand.

And don't forget that Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire comes out today. Wahoo! I hope to see it tomorrow.

7 comments:

daleliop said...

Yeah I want to see it too! Hmm... might be kinda crowded though.

Sam Harper said...

Yeah. I may see a matinee tomorrow. Or, if I can stand it no longer, I'll see a really late one tonight. They've got one starting at 12:00 tonight.

daleliop said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
daleliop said...

Oh, if you're interested, I just posted the solution to the riddle in the Conversations #15 comments section.

Sam Harper said...

That's cool, Jeff. When I was little, my dad gave me a book called Bushcraft that showed how to make cords and ropes out of natural materials. I was total absorbed in it. I never made any string out of inner bark, though.

Sam Harper said...

That's awesome, Jeff! That book is definitely a rare find. Mine is a paper back, and the cover has worn off. You can sometimes find copies of it here. I loved that book when I was a kid, and I even made traps and stuff when I went camping. Recently, I made a tiny little mouse trap with a miniature bow I made. I wish I could get a place in the sticks, because I'd be out in the woods all the time if I could. I never outgrew it.

Sam Harper said...

Jeff, here is one for $6.