Monday, February 06, 2006

How to make a bow

I made my first bow in May of 2004. I remember reading a whole lot of information about it before I got started. It was not all clear to me. Some tutorials would cover things that other tutorials would leave out. I couldn't find any one tutorial that was idiot-proof, and idiot-proof was exactly what I needed. I had no prior experience working with wood at all. I needed details and illustrations.

The first bow I made was a red oak board bow. It seemed like a good place to start because I could get red oak for pretty cheap at Home Depot and Lowes, and it came in the ideal dimensions, which cut out a lot of work. I learned far more from making bows than I did from reading about making bows.

Still, I have wanted for a long time to make the sort of tutorial I wish I could've had when I started making bows. Well, I have finally finished it. Here it is. Go have a look-see, then go make a bow, then come back here and tell me about it. I would like to know how helpful this tutorial was.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sam, I've read your build alongs for the different bows and they have helped me a lot. I would like to email you some specific questions, but as you noted on your site, you don't list your email because you don't want spam. I understand. If you have the time to go to the ITBA website and look for my sign in (EvansvilleDoug) you can leave a private message there and then I can email you.

The below link/URL is for the ITBA (Indiana Traditional Bowhunters Association)

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=28931&subForumID=50257

Thanks for your time,

Doug