Thursday, September 10, 2009

Apologetics conference videos available

The videos for the "Faith & Reason" get together at Saddleback church that I mentioned a couple of blogs ago are now available here.

The one with J.P. Moreland on "Has Science Made Faith in God Obsolete?" is worth checking out.

The one with Norman Geisler on "If God Exists, Why Is There Evil?" is not worth checking out in my opinion.

The one by William Lane Craig on "How Did the Universe Begin" is pretty much a rehash of what he says every time the subject comes up, so not much new there unless you've never heard Bill Craig before, in which case you should check it out.

The one by Dinesh D'Souza on "How Do I Know God Exists?" was better than I expected since I had not been very impressed with him in the past, but the topic he discusses has more to do with answering the arguments of the "new atheists" than explaining how we can know God exists.

I only caught the tail end of Darrel Bock's talk on "What the Gospels Really Say About Jesus," so I can't say much about that.

Greg Koukl's talk on "How Can I Defend My Faith Without Sounding Defensive," did not do justice to his book on Tactics, which addresses the same subject in much more detail, although Greg does a good impersonation of Lt. Columbo. I really think everybody should read that book, whether they are Christians or not, because it's a great primer on critical thinking for beginners. It's very well written and easy to understand with great advice on how to have a productive and civil conversation with somebody you have strong disagreements with. I think this book has the potential to raise the quality of debate between Christians and non-Christians if both sides read the book.

2 comments:

brgulker said...

I'm definitely going to check out Greg and Dinesh.

Thanks for the link!

Sam Harper said...

You should check out the one with J.P., too.